Wednesday, November 09, 2005

fictional fact in the fiction

I’m edging closer to the grand finale of the book now.  I’ve entered a critical portion of the story where different storylines begin to get tied together.   I’m faced with the daunting task of delivering a lot of “fact” in the current chapter.   The dissemination of fact when writing fiction is a necessary evil if you hope to create a believable world.   It’s easy to lose a reader when you go into “text book” mode to explain technical or historical aspects of a tale.  Personally, how do I go about avoiding text book mode?   I’ve found it takes only takes a sentence or two (well placed) to keep the reader attached to the character and story.  The environment can be extremely useful in keeping the reader emotionally invested.   Simple, absent behavior helps to keep things real.  He ran a hand over the old, damp railing, flakes of rust fell to the dead leaves that covered the patio.  The visceral impact of the environment: the acrid cloud of cigar smoke burned her nostrils and made her eyes sting.  Hugo and his habits disgusted her, but still, she tried her best to concentrate on each word he said.    

Reading is a great learning tool and extremely important for any writer.  There is a lot to be learned from reading both good and bad novels.    This is just one tidbit I’ve picked up through reading.   By no stretch do I consider myself an expert.   But, the technique certainly seems to work.

Word count:  67, 291

No comments: