Monday, October 24, 2005

Week 2

Here I am, taking an early lunch as I write this today. You see, I spent most of the day eating and sitting around watching movies with the Jen. As an obvious consequence, my stomach has stretched somewhat from its normal size. Thus, I am starving and it is not quite yet noon. Ah well. I’ve come up on week two of the novel writing process. Admittedly, I only wrote a handful of words during the second half of the last week. Time was a precious commodity while prepping for the Pharmacy Prophets CD release. And what little time was left over was generally spent in lack-of-sleep delirium. That said, I fully intend to write every day this week with the goal of 10 pages daily.

Mur Laffetry brought up something that hit fairly close to home as I listened to her PodCast this morning. A portion of the discussion was devoted to life’s little distractions. She said it right on, at least as distractions relate to me - Unplug the internet. I have to say, the ‘net is easily one of the most cumbersome distractions I deal with when writing, whether I’m chatting away, surfacing idly, or obsessively checking www.weather.com. It definitely affects my productivity. Last year, I had some of my most prolific evenings of writing when using the Texas Instruments dinosaur laptop. The computer is from the mid-nineties. It has no wireless access. Hell, I don’t think it could even connect to the Internet via dialup at this point. Maybe I should dig the thing up and start using it. I don’t think I have the will power to stay off the internet.

Just a thought.

NanoWrimo is coming up in roughly a week. For the un-initiated, NanoWrimo is National Writing Month. The goal for participants in NanoWrimo is to writing a 50,000 word (175-page) novel during the month of November. The cut off is November 30th at midnight. As I’m already committed to my book-in-progress (which likely will be longer than 50,000 words, anyway), I cannot directly participate this year. I can, however, observe the month by attempting to write 50,000 words. This translates to roughly 1600 words a day. Really, not an overwhelming number – certainly not a number where the content or quality of the writing will suffer. Its 50,000 words closer to finishing the book.

Besides, goals are always good.

My first goal of the day is to transcribe about 45 mintues worth of notes recorded during a couple commutes at the end of last week. So, maybe last week I didn't write as much as I would've liked, but I did actively engage in the creative process for the new novel. I'll give myself a pat on the back, albeit, a small one. Writing Week officially started on Sunday. I was too busy eaty and being a vegetable. So, for me, Writing Week starts today.

Current Research:

No comments: