Thursday, October 27, 2005

statement of the obvious

Goals are good. Goals are especially good for someone as easily distracted as myself. I have been achieving my daily word count goals so far this week (go me!). I’m halfway through where I need to be by Sunday to achieve my goal for the week. I was ambiguous when I mentioned this goal in an earlier post. I’m at the point where I think I need to fess up. Ya know, to keep myself honest. The goal is to hit 50,000 words by Sunday night. If nothing else, I want to prove to myself that I can write over 40,000 words in a single week while I work a full time, juggle seven pets and a one fiancĂ©, two bands, and reading before bed time.

Fortunately for my goal and I, the novel has taken on a life of its own. What I’d call the “beginning” is essentially done. I feel like I’m bodily yanked forward through this story. I’ve got the “middle” and the end, for intents and purposes, figured out. Now, when I say the “end” is figured out I mean this: I know where the book is going and I have some idea of how things were close out. As any writer knows, this can and likely will change, but to have an approximate idea of the “end” gives the story focus. The journey may be the destination, but sometimes, it’s nice to know where you’ll hang your coat for the night.

I drafted up the synopsis for A Prayer for Rain last night. Ideas come at strange times. I was putting away some laundry when the elusive words starting to surface in my murky head. So, I stopped putting away laundry, and ignored every and everything until got the idea on paper. I gotta be frustarting to be around sometimes.

Word count: 21, 172.

No comments: